Thursday, October 28, 2010

Assignment 4: Honest Emotion


This week was possibly or trickiest assignment of the quarter: to capture honest emotion. It's already difficult to build up a relationship with a stranger, and for them to be comfortable around the camera is an added challenge. I needed to find some event to find emotional people who won't be distracted by a camera.

I heard about a pinewood derby taking place on campus, to benefit the Make A Wish Foundation. It was a small event - last year they raised $200, and I looked like less this year unfortunately - but there seemed to be some tough competition among the engineers and industrial designers. These seem to be the only people the event was advertised to, as I saw no other posters around campus.

The races were going well, but I realized I essentially kept taking the same photos. I looked outside of my camera at who was reacting. I spotted Andrew Thorsvik, who had one of the few motorized cars, with clenched fist and some wild gestures each time his car was in the race. I had found my subject. He ended up in second place after a nasty spill inches before the finish line in the final race.

No comments:

Post a Comment