Thursday, October 21, 2010

Assignment 3: Environmental Portrait



A
ssignment three required finding a person with a notable environment and willing to pose for a portrait. I spent a good time going over possible businesses and people I could catch around town. I went home for the weekend, bringing a pair of boots needing to be sent to the cobbler. There, I realized just how wonderful this man and his shop were – I needed to photograph this.

When I eventually got the courage to go the the counter, Roy, the owner, seemed confused, then embarrassed but flattered, also making a vague reference to Andre Serrano’s “Piss Christ” and that he agrees as long as I don’t make something like that.

I ended up in the shop for tw
o hours, until I’d used my whole role of film. Our conversation was a great success, and I only touched the surface of his history, which focused mostly on his recent liver failure – poisoning from applying industrial super glue to his injuries for a quick fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment